Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Second Day of Christmas

So as a warning, this post is a little less exciting. In part because there are no pictures, but also because it was just a little more of a normal day.

So today I woke up and, like all other Federal Employees, I didn't have to go to work. Nothing of course raises spirits like having multiple Saturdays to get things done. I've had a large project looming over my head for several months now (finishing the Kitchen Cabinets that I started back in July), and I was very excited to get a lot done on them. So it was that I found myself working down in the workshop in the morning. Eventually Darian came down and was accompanying me.


Unfortunately, it was at this time that the day diverted from its course. Kristin came down and wanted a picture of us working together, and when I handed my phone to her it slipped out of its case and shattered on the cement floor. :-( Suddenly I had a new errand that had to be run. I grabbed something quick for lunch and raced off to the Apple Store, 40 min away, to get it fixed. I figured as long as I was driving all the way into Baltimore, I could stop by the hardwood store as well, since I needed a little more Oak to finish the Cabinets.

Well, if I thought shopping on Christmas Eve was crazy, it was NOTHING compared to going out in public on the day AFTER Christmas. I had to drive through all 6 levels of the parking garage for about 20 min before I could successfully snatch a parking spot from everyone else. As such, I missed my service appointment and had to wait for another hour before it could be looked at, then two hours while they worked on it. During those two hours I wandered around the Towson Mall and windowshopped. It was fun, but the intense crowd really provided a somber view of American materialism in the Holiday Season.

So anyway, my quick 2-3 hour errand became a 6 hour trip, which killed my whole day. Always sad when you can't get done what you want to with a day. But my phone is whole once more, and I got the wood I need to do the job. I was also sad, thought, that I was away from my family most of the day.

In the evening, for our devotional, we watched the video of Peter walking on water. We talked about how if you trust in the Lord, you can do great things that you never thought possible. But if you forget him and start flying solo, you can very easily start to be overwelmed by your circumstances and start to feel like you are sinking.

We then got to put one more gift under the tree, and record one more act of service. Kristin wrote that she read a few extra books to Gavin before his nap. Having been gone all day, the only thing I could find to do was that I fixed a table leg for Kristin. Eliora I don't think thought about it today, and so we had to help her think of an instance where she'd thought of someone else. Eventually she said she had thrown away a diaper which Aunt Kimberly had changed. Kaela, in contrast, had beat us all. She woke up early and cleaned her room and made beds while Mommy and Daddy slept in. It was a very sweet and thoughtful gesture.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a little nicer. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment